- "Award-winning Sex Sells: British Adult Video's Quest for Quality, 1978-85", Screen, University of Glasgow, June 2017.
- Keynote: "Razor Fresh: Making and Marketing Exploitation Cinema at the Beginning of the New Millennium", Exploitation Cinema in the 21st Century, Canterbury Christ Church University, June 2017.
- Closing plenary panel member: Transnational Monstrosity in Popular Culture, York St John University, June 2017.
- Guest lecture: "Building Media Histories Through Archival Research", University of Sunderland, March 2017.
- Keynote: "The macabre video underground: historicising the subcultural value of real death imagery," Spectacular Now: The Politics of the Contemporary Spectacle, TU Dortmund University, 11-12 November 2016.
- Guest lecture: "Realist Horror", Anglia Ruskin University, course title: Theorising Spectatorship, 31 October 2016.
- "A golden age of exploitation? Video rental culture in Britain, beyond the video nasties," SCMS annual conference, Hilton, Atlanta, Georgia. March 2016.
- Invited: "Snuff love: real death and horror film culture from the grind house to your house," Offscreen Film Festival, Cinema Nova, Brussels, March 2016.
- Guest lecture: "Distributing British Horror in the 21st Century," University of Warwick, course title: Horror and the Gothic, 9 February 2016.
- Invited: "Video nicies: rethinking the relationship between children and video entertainment in 1980s Britain," Birmingham Centre for Media and Cultural Research Seminar Series, Birmingham City University, 3 February 2016.
- Invited: "Contemporary British Horror Cinema," public lecture delivered at Abertoir International Horror Film Festival, November 2015. This talk commemorated the publication of my first monograph.
- Guest lecture: "British horror in the doghouse", Falmouth University, April 2015.
- 'The transnational legacies of contemporary Italian horror cinema', SCMS 2015, The Queen Elizabeth Hotel, Montreal, March 2015.
- Invited: ‘From the makers of The Woman in Black’: Hammer Films and contemporary horror cinema, University of Kent, 11 Februrary 2015.
- 'Generation Rewind: Tracking the Video Boom in Britain', MeCCSA 2015, Northumbria University, 8 January 2015.
- Invited: 'From video collecting to contemporary cinema' (w/ Mark McKenna), Abertoir International Horror Film Festival, November 2014. This talk coincided with our 'Video Nasties' exhibition.
- 'Rewind and playback: re-examining the video boom in Britain', Archaeologies of Media and Film, University of Bradford, 5 September 2014.
- Invited: Introducing A Field in England, followed by a Q&A on contemporary British horror cinema at the Waves of Horror film festival, Gulbenkian Cinema, Kent University, May 2014.
- 'Between Italianate and Italian horror cinema', Spaghetti Cinema, University of Bedfordshire, May 2014.
- 'Amateur British Horror and Informal Distribution', SCMS, Sheraton Seattle Hotel, Seattle, March 2014.
- Invited: 'Getting a job in academia: film and media', De Montfort University Employability week, 21 February 2014.
- Invited: 'Long time dead: The British film industry and the horror genre in the early 2000s', CRMCS Seminar Series, University of Sunderland. 17 February 2014.
- 'New British Horror and Informal Distribution', MeCCSA 2014, Bournemouth University, January 201
- 'The "real" Danny Dyer'' (w/ Sarah Godfrey), British Stars, Queen Mary University of London, 1 November 2013.
- 'Brain Damaged and Troma-tised: Marketing amateur horror movies as online cult products', Cult Film Symposium, Northumbria University, 12 September 2013.
- 'From Pinter to Pimp: Danny Dyer, cult stardom and the critics', Revisiting Star Studies, Newcastle University, June 2013.
- Invited: 'Colouring the movies blood red: The trash aesthetics and cult impact of Herschell Gordon Lewis', Offscreen Film Festival, Brussels, March 2013.
- 'The lust continent: When horror and British hard-core come together', Adventures In Textuality, University of Sunderland, April 2013.
- 'Low budgets, "no budgets" and Digital-Video nasties: The "other" British horror cinema', 22nd International Screen Studies Conference, University of Glasgow, 29 June - 1 July 2012.
- 'In the Doghouse: Reclaiming masculinity in contemporary British horror-comedy’, Genre Beyond Hollywood, University of Southampton, 8 July 2012.
- 'Monstrous youth and the 'hoodie horror' cycle', presented at The Monster Inside Us, The Monsters Around Us, De Montfort University, November 2011.
- 'Hood-nation/nationhood: Allegorising 'Broken Britain' in contemporary British horror cinema', presented at the North-East Regional Film Seminar, University of Sunderland, July 2011.
- 'Video violence as cult(ural) signifier: Cult nostalgia, national cinema, and the British 'handy cam' horror', presented at Cine-Excess V, Brunel University/Odeon Covent Garden, May 2011.
- 'The lust continent: When horror and British hard-core come together', presented at Erotic Adaptations, De Montfort University, Leicester, January 2011.
- Invited: 'Nasty visions: Violent spectacle and contemporary British horror cinema', presented at Newcastle University, October 2010.
- 'British bodies, American money: the cultural anatomy of The Devil's Chair', presented at Cine-Excess IV, Brunel University/Odeon Covent Garden, April 2010.
- 'Lesbian Vampire Killers and the contemporary deprecation of the classic British horror film', presented at Bloodlines: British Horror Past and Present, De Montfort University, March 2010.